Call our Free Phone 0800 808 5565

portrait of a gas engineer.webp

Gas Engineer vs Heating Engineer - Differences In Expertise

Jack Adams.webp

by Jack Adams

2023-05-24 12:42 PM

The energy needs increase as the winter sets in because people need to keep their homes warm. It requires services professionals who can optimize your energy needs and bring you more energy savings.

How do you know if you need a gas engineer or a heating engineer to service your home appliances? Since these two fields require different training and involve various tasks, the decision of who to hire should be dependent on the precise technical expertise required for the undertaking.

One example is whom you hire when you need a gas boiler repair? You could also seek the help of a plumber if you find one who is Gas Safe registered. Use the Gas Safe online checker to confirm the credentials of any plumber or heating engineer you hire.

As regards the choice between the gas engineer and heating engineers, this post draws comparisons between the two in terms of duties, expectations, and compensation.

Let’s examine the similarities and differences between gas engineer and heating engineer. 

Plumbers, heating engineers, and gas engineers have traditionally been viewed as three distinct professions. At first glance, they look identical from the average person's point of view. Many heating engineers also have experience in plumbing. However, you shouldn't call a plumber to inspect your boiler because most people who call themselves plumbers aren't qualified to legally deal with gas unless they are gas safe registered.

Gas Engineer

Gas Engineer

Gas engineers, to begin, are the skilled laborers who install, repair, and service gas lines, appliances, and other gas-related infrastructure. Gas engineers are responsible for the setup, servicing, maintenance, and repair of gas appliances. Any gas appliance, from a household gas fire or stove to an office building's heating system  falls under the purview of a gas engineer, who may choose to specialize in either installation or maintenance. 

Some gas engineers specialize in repairing only gas meters, while others are qualified to work on any gas-related appliance. Installation and repairs to home boilers are among the tasks that can only be performed by a Gas Safe engineer.

Among the many distinguishing features of a gas engineer is the requirement that they renew their registration with the Gas Safe Register every year. 

If you're in the UK, you must comply with this law. Before hiring a gas engineer, make sure you get their contact details; if they're registered, they'll have an ID card with their details on it.

Heating Engineer

Heating Engineer

Heating engineers frequently collaborate with gas engineers to complete as much work on a heating system as feasible without interacting with gas. A heating engineer is the next logical step after a plumber, and they usually have an NVQ or the international equivalent. Keep in mind that it is not uncommon for a heating engineer to also be a plumber. Heating engineers need to be gas safe engineers if they are to be legally allowed to work with gas.

The primary responsibility of a heating engineer is to ensure the comfort, safety, and security of the gas heating infrastructure in the buildings they service. They guarantee the effectiveness of central heating systems to save money, resources, and carbon emissions.


Plumbers and heating engineers are essentially the same in terms of their technical expertise, with the main difference lying in the latter's higher level of training and education. To work as a plumber does not necessitate any kind of academic schooling. Across the United Kingdom, there are many establishments that employ people who aren't licensed plumbers. While they may know their way around certain plumbing, you shouldn't entrust them with fixing your gas boiler.

Qualifications for Heating Engineers

To work in the field legally and safely, heating engineers need formal education, usually in the form of a certificate or diploma from the Gas Managed Learning Programme or an equivalent. They also need to be Gas Safe-registered professionals. You'll need to complete a gas work portfolio, ace a battery of on-the-job tests, and get your CCN1 certification through a standardized training and testing regimen in order to qualify for this certificate.

Some plumbers do have the credentials to call themselves gas engineers; those who are registered with Gas Safe have completed the appropriate training and testing. But there are a lot of opportunities in general plumbing that they can miss out on if they make that decision.

Qualifications for Gas Engineer

If you want to work as a gas engineer, you'll need to get the proper training and register with Gas Safe. An NVQ or diploma in gas utilisation, domestic plumbing and heating, or domestic natural gas installation and maintenance are all examples of relevant industry qualifications.


In the Greater London Area, a gas engineer can expect to earn an average annual salary of £41,616. Additional monetary compensation for a gas engineer in the London Area ranges from £1,165 to £6,631, with an average of £2,779.

Whereas a heating engineer can earn around £12,597 per month in UK. 

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Who does work with heating?

Heating engineers are responsible for the upkeep and installation of a building's heating pipes, fixtures, and fittings. They find and implement the best heating solutions for homes, businesses, and factories.

2. How much do heating engineers earn UK?

Average £12,597 per year.

3. How much money can you make as a Gas Engineer in the UK?

In the Greater London Area, a Gas Engineer can expect to earn an average annual salary of £41,616. Additional monetary compensation for a Gas Engineer in the London Area ranges from £1,165 to £6,631, with an average of £2,779.

4. In order to work as a heating engineer, what prerequisites must you meet?

Many will share the same fundamental requirements, the most prevalent of which are the following:

  • Core Household Gas Safety (CCN1)
  • Evaluation of Combustion Efficiency (CPA1)
  • Home Boilers, Water Heaters, and Gas Central Heaters (CENWAT)
  • Appliances for use in the home that use gas as a fuel source (CKR1)
  • Gas fireplaces and wall heaters for the home (HTR1)