There are several types of builders, each with a unique purpose and skill set. They include general contractors, custom home builders, renovation contractors, green builders, speculative builders and tiny home/developers.
- General Contractors - They oversee the entire building process from start to finish and ensure all project details are handled.
- Custom Home Builders - They specialise in constructing homes based on specific plans from homeowners or architects and remodelling existing homes.
- Renovation Contractors - They are typically involved in larger projects, or extensive renovations such as additions or 2nd story builds for single-family homes.
- Green Builders - They focus on energy efficiency through green materials and practices such as passive solar strategies and rainwater catchment systems to create more sustainable living spaces.
- Speculative Builders - They usually construct subdivisions speculatively according to their design ideas before selling them off after completion.
- Tiny Home/Developers - They focus on constructing small dwellings such as cabins and trailers to livable standards while maximizing the efficient use of materials in limited spaces.
- What are the different types of building methods?
Various building methods are used today, each suited to certain construction projects. The two main categories are traditional and prefabricated (modular) construction methods.
Traditional building methods involve using natural resources such as wood, stone, brick, or steel to construct buildings from the ground up.
Prefabricated/modular building approaches involve constructing parts of the structure in a factory-like setting and then shipping them to the site for assembly; this method is often more efficient and cost-effective than traditional construction methods.